Translate

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Top 5 foods to gain muscle

What's going on athletes, this week I’ll talk about an overlooked aspect of building muscle; the diet. A lot of people think that if they stay in the gym 24/7 they'll build pounds of muscle; when in reality it's what you eat that is just if not more important than what you do. In this issue I’ll list 5 foods you should be eating to build the most muscle possible.

1. Eggs:

Eggs are the ultimate muscle food. According to Men's Health, eggs contain lots of high quality protein and the protein in eggs contains the highest biological value of any food. Eggs are also a great source of vitamins, including A, E, K and many B vitamins like B12, riboflavin and folic acid. In addition eggs contain all eight essential amino acids which help build minerals like calcium, zinc and iron. You better start adding eggs to your breakfast if you want good muscle growth. I myself will start adding some omelette to my foods to eat. 

2. Beef:

Beef is another great protein with a lot of benefits. It is a major source of iron and zinc, both important components for muscle growth. It is also the number one food source for creatine with 2 grams for every 16 ounces. Look for round or loin cuts for the best bang for your buck. I usually add meat in whatever sauce I plan on eating and use it as a topping for things like rice or other foods.

3. Salmon:

Salmon is full of high quality protein and omega 3 fatty acids. Men's Fitness  says: "These omega-3 fats are most well known for their ability to improve heart health but they also inhibit muscle breakdown while increasing the anabolic capacity of amino acids." When I eat salmon i'll usually buy it in a can to add to my crackers for a healthy snack or will use it as a side dish to my dinner. 

4. Nuts/Almonds:

Nuts are great for people trying to put on weight because of its high calorie density. Again, Men's Fitness says "One ounce of cashew or almonds contains 150-170 high quality calories. Nuts are the perfect blend of protein, fats, and fiber allowing you to get the extra calories you need without having them pad your waistline." I usually like to keep nuts in a small cup or bag and munch on them while doing other work.  

5. Water:

One of the simplest yet most overlooked things to consume is water. Muscle is approximately 80% water, which means you must consume lots in order to perform at top shape. For example, Men's Health  says "a 1997 German study found that protein synthesis occurs at a higher rate in muscle cells that are well hydrated, compared with dehydrated cells." This means that if you don't have enough water, it will slow down your ability to build muscle. Water helps in tons of other ways as well and you should definitely be sure to drink enough. I always try to drink water before and after my workouts or games. I noticed that when I drink enough water I don't get those annoying calf cramps that tend to happen to me. 


7 comments:

  1. Almost all of the foods you have names are very rich in protein. My nutritionist put me on a all protein diet which had me eatin at least 25 ounces of meat, 30 almonds and 4 eggs per day. It was a lot to eat, but it helped me gain muscle mass in a landslide. Great blog Alex! I can`t wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water! That's me! Everywhere I go I have a water bottle with me. I used to never drink water but my coaches have hounded me enough that now it's an addiction. I admit, there could be worse addictions haha. I also love all of the other stuff except for salmon.... Fish is my worst enemy, yet I know I have to start eating more. Especially with my new training schedules. I'll just have to start finding ways to hide the fishy taste. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of these products contain high amounts of protein. Protein is really good for athletes, especially growing athletes, and usually helps to enhance their performance level. It helps people stay in shape and increase their muscle mass. A lot of people take protein preservatives like powders and pills because they feel they don't consume enough protein. I've researched that, in fact, most athletes consume more protein than they actually need. For example, endurance athletes only require 84-98 grams of protein a day and strength athletes need 112-119 grams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this blog was actually so helpful! I have been looking at ways to "up" my diet to produce more muscle with my physical activities. I never knew Almonds were a source of protein! I guess we learn something new everyday! To me this whole blog post has been a great guide to a healthier and fit lifestyle! I would recommend this blog to anyone. Can't wait for your next blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this post. It made me second guess what I eat, and I`m considering changing my eating habbits. I don`t have really much muscle on me lol, but it wouldn`t hurt to gain any! I don`t think it would be a problem changing my eating habits because I`m not picky at all when it comes to eating food. Just a little add on; almonds also help hair growth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i should really take your advice and try to gain some more muscle, but the thing is im pretty big already, but good job on the blog and ill try to take your advice to try to become the perfect athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Protein brah? All of these foods are super protein dense as well as rich in essential fats. Fat is a necessary component in order to break down protein. Such can be seen in nature for example with eggs, you have the yolk (fat) with the white protein or the case of beef and salmon the protein always sits with the fat because protein is synthesized by the fat. I personally make it an effort to consumes at least 1.5 g of body protein per pound of body weight (excluding protein shakes). You should check out my blog I talk a lot about dieting!

    ReplyDelete