Translate

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Sports Drink vs Water

S'up athletes? Interesting topic today, which are better to drink during sports practices or games, sport drinks like Gatorade or Powerade or all natural water?

Let's break it down to a scientific level to see what really does the most good. According to Men's Fitness sports drinks are only required if you are exercising for periods of longer than 60 minutes or very intense workouts. Sports drinks aid with endurance because they contain sodium, which water doesn't have much of. Sodium helps retain water and helps the fluid get to where it needs to go.

So sports drinks have a bit more nutrients then water, but is that the only advantage? Well not really, since water really has no taste, people might be more inclined to drinking tastier sports drinks than water for long periods of time. But that doesn't mean plain old water doesn't have its advantages. Running Competitor.com states that: " The absorption of fluids into the body is largely dependent upon two factors: 1. the rate at which it is absorbed through the walls of the small intestine; and 2. the speed at which it is emptied from the stomach." They add by saying the higher the carbohydrate content, the slower the absorption rate. This means that water would be absorbed in the bloodstream much faster than a sports drink full of sugar.

So which is best? Well it depends on what you're looking for: re-hydration or the replenishment your energy.
Your best is probably drinking both, but at different times. I believe (which is also backed up by this article)
that you should start by drinking water before your workout/exercise; around 1 hour or 2 before or even the night before if it is a big event. This will allow you to be the most hydrated and have a good base of energy/ hydration by the time your exercise begins. As for the sports drink, you'll probably want to drink it during and even after your exercise. The sodium and taste will keep you going longer as it replenishes your energy. Also drinking it after will help recover your muscles, but you'll probably want to drink a protein shake or anything with protein instead for best results.

So, before exercise drink at least 2 glasses of water to be ready for exercise and drink your sports drink during your exercise. From my own experiences this is the best way to go. I noticed whenever I drink lots of water before sports I feel a lot better and can keep going for longer than when I don't. And when I drink a sports drink during my exercise, I avoid cramps after my games and can keep going longer.

So take this advice and go conquer the competition!

Sources:
http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-drink/sports-drinks-vs-water
http://running.competitor.com/2013/11/nutrition/hydration-101-sports-drinks-vs-water_52293/2

7 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Thank you for sharing this great information about water and sport drinks. I had no idea that if you drank water before your exercise or during your game that it will help you with your performance. So thanks again for sharing this, and I can not wait till next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water can be very useful during a game or before, but the thing about sports drinks is that its very frowned upon because even though its useful to take during a game, people abuse it and drink it for fun because its "tasty"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really understood the sports drinks logic, I've always felt like there is different sports drink for every five minute interval in sports but maybe that's just me. Thanks for clearing up a bit of the confusion. This could be useful with all of this snow we're getting, keeping hydrated and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was younger and played hockey, I would never drink water until after the game. I never felt as if it were necessary; however, as I grew older I was taught that as soon as you feel dehydrated, your body is already in a state of stress from dehydration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog is so interesting, especially because I can relate this to my younger brother. He likes drinking Gatorade and Powerade instead of water during sports. I completely agree with you, water is a good base of energy and is good for hydration. And that's why they say it's good to drink water before playing any kind of sport or before working out. But in the other hand Gatorade has a different variety of nutrients which is also good for you. Anyway, I really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When i work out i always just drink straight water, even if i work out for 2 hours. The sports drinks are useless in my mind. I don't fell like your digestive system can break down the drink and circulate it in time to be used in a work out or sports game. Water is the best drink in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here we go with another comment. But I must say I do quite enjoy reading the information on your blog. Now in regards t water vs sports drink. I try to drink water constantly throughout the day, I avoid things like juice because I'm all about the all natty (natural) way of life. That being said I do realise the importance of electrolytes especially when it comes to sports and exercising, I often mix pure electrolytes with my water along with amino acids because I don't like the artificial flavorings in sports drinks. I also usually thick starchy foods high in electrolytes such as bananas after workouts to replenish the loss.

    ReplyDelete